Minor injury units (MIUs): here to help you!
Minor injury units can treat a range of minor illnesses and injuries which have occurred during the last 14 days, including:
- sprains and strains
- minor fractures
- traumatic wound infections (not surgical wounds)
- minor burns and scalds
- head injuries (where the person has not been unconscious)
- insect and animal bites and stings
- minor eye injuries
- cuts, bruising and grazes
- suspected infections, for example: chest, urinary, eye, ear, skin, throat (when GPs are closed). Nearly all pharmacies also offer a minor illness service. Find your nearest pharmacy and check opening hours.
Please note that minor injury units cannot x-ray hips, femurs, backs, chests, ribs, faces or children under 2.
You can walk into any of our minor injury units without the need of an appointment or calling NHS 111. Live wait and opening times are published online, so please do check before you go as your nearest may not be your quickest.
Non-urgent advice: People with life or limb threatening illnesses or injuries should call 999
For more info, please watch this video of Ellen’s visit to MIU
Locations of minor injury units (MIU):
We have a network of 10 minor injury units. Most are open every day, including evenings and weekends. Please check times before you go – as your nearest may not be your quickest.
- Bodmin Minor Injury Unit
- Camborne Redruth Minor Injury Unit
- Falmouth Minor Injury Unit
- Helston Minor Injury Unit
- Launceston Minor Injury Unit
- Liskeard Minor Injury Unit
- Newquay Minor Injury Unit
- St Austell Minor Injury Unit
- St Marys Isles of Scilly Minor Injury Unit
- Stratton Minor Injury Unit
Did you know our Urgent Treatment Centre is open until midnight?
Urgent Treatment Centres (UTCs) are there to help with injuries that need attention urgently but are not critical or life-threatening.
The UTC at West Cornwall Hospital is open everyday from 8am until midnight.
You don’t need to make an appointment; you can just turn up and be treated by the staff there.
Address: West Cornwall Hospital, St Clare Street, Penzance TR18 2PF
The Urgent Treatment centre is on the ground floor at West Cornwall Hospital. When you arrive at the main entrance, go past the main reception and turn right. Follow the corridor round to the left and the urgent treatment centre is on your right.