Using NHS 111

When to call 111 instead

Call 111 to speak to someone if you need to:

  • discuss complex medical problems
  • discuss worries about a long-term condition
  • get end-of-life care, or report a death
  • report child protection or vulnerable adult concerns

For people with serious or life-threatening illnesses or injuries please dial 999.

Other ways to contact 111 if you have a hearing problem or need help in other languages

To talk to someone about your mental wellbeing you can call the 24/7 NHS mental health telephone support helpline on 0800 038 5300 for advice and triage.

Support is available to anyone, regardless of age, all day every day. If you or someone you know feels they need to access urgent mental health support, they will listen to you and assess how best to help.

Page last reviewed: 5 April 2023

Text Size

Change font